From ancient byways to modern highways, glimpses of faith are everywhere...

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Kendrick Lamar: An I for an i



Kendrick Lamar in 2015  (Photo by Connie Lodge)
Rapper Kendrick Lamar’s ability to shift between I and i puts him smack between Christianity’s rock and life’s hard places.

The blessing is that Lamar can relate to religious and secular worlds.  The curse is that both might therefore reject him.

Sometimes Kendrick is sheer preacher. Hear him out in this introduction to Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City:  Lord God, I come to you a sinner, and I humbly repent for my sins.  I believe that Jesus is Lord…  I receive Jesus to take control of my life…

Yet there’s humble, and there’s HUMBLE.  In this recent release, Lamar often seems anything but. Could it be that he poses as the Pope?  Or perhaps it’s his macho take on women’s bodies. Nevertheless, he still has a front-row seat at the Last Supper.  Hors d’oeuvres anyone?

Keeping it semi-real, Lamar dressed as Jesus for Halloween 2014.  After all, clothes do matter.  If people see you as Jesus, you may have to act the part.  In Kendrick’s own gifted words:  The outfit is just the imagery, but what’s inside me will display longer.

Resources
https://www.buzzfeed.com/reggieugwu/the-radical-christianity-of-kendrick-lamar?utm_term=.koENovVa6a#.oqk9jrMnZn 

Copyright April 1, 2017 by Linda Van Slyke   All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment