From ancient byways to modern highways, glimpses of faith are everywhere...

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Introvert No-Nos

'I'm Nobody!  Who are you?'  (Public Domain)
Those who are not the life of the party are often tempted to skip it altogether.

That’s because they might be accosted with comments such as these:

Cat got your tongue?
Why so glum, chum?
You anti-social or something?
It doesn’t cost anything to smile.
Is something the matter?

Amy Odell of Cosmopolitan describes what goes through the minds of many when they hear comments like this:

I wasn’t feeling glum until you flung these assumptions at me.  It’s not that I don’t like people, it merely takes me some time to cozy up with folks.  ‘I just like to take in what’s going on around me before I react to it.’

These introvert thoughts sound perfectly reasonable when viewed objectively.  However, we live in a society that is dominated by extraversion.  Introverts, therefore, tend to be misunderstood and often shunned. 

Resources
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smart-living/15-things-you-should-never-say-to-an-introvert/ar-BBjQ254

Copyright May 30, 2015 by Linda Van Slyke   All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment